Saturday, April 9, 2016

John 1:16-17

"For out of His (Christ) fullness (abundance) we all received-all had a share and we were all supplied with-one grace after another and spiritual blessing upon spiritual blessing, and even favor upon favor and gift (heaped) upon gift.

For while the Law was given through Moses, grace-unearned, undeserved favor and spiritual blessing-and truth came through Jesus Christ."

A friend sent me this scripture yesterday, and it actually led me to the book of First John because I read the reference incorrectly. Still, that is where I needed to go and what I needed to read. In First John the connection is made about the love of God being connected to the love of others, specifically other Christians-how can we say we love God if we don't love other people. Jesus was the original lover of people, as is witnessed by what was sent to me. He gave to ALL of us, every spiritual blessing. He gave. I have had a very hard time connecting with God's love-it still seems remote to me, but then you read something like this and I wonder how do I experience this? It seems so wonderful and there is no doubt God longs to and has given us so much. The answer I think is in loving others. I tend to be so isolationist. But then life falls flat. When we live only with and for ourselves excluding other people, maybe not in a defensive way, but what seems to suit our natural personality, we lose out. We cannot experience what we cannot give. And this was given to us for free.

Thank you, Lord, for having the prescription to what ails us and for your personal care for each of us in so many ways. I need to extend that care to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment